Your choice. Your move.
It’s time. It’s now.
Happy New Year!
*image via Pinterest
1. Sleep is a most sought-after commodity. It’s ok to sleep in.
2. Senior discounts.
3. Freckles? They’re now called liver spots, age spots.
4. Girlfriends are your dear friends. They listen. And listen.
5. Bolder is better. I mean, attitude.
6. And not in make-up. Some can get away with it – Iris Arpel, Paloma Picasso. Emphasize the lips OR the eyes, if you insist.
7. Mini skirts look better on the young.
8. Do I have a signature? Geeky glasses. Parfum No. 19. 1932. Arm candies – bracelets, bangles, and bags. Red …
9. Solitary is not a frightening term. Again, it’s ok.
10. I forgive myself. More. I’m even nicer to myself. More and more.
11. A stress-free life is possible.
12. It’s best not to lose one’s child-like wonder.
13. A fuzzy brain is for real.
14. Sh*t still happens.
15. One can have breakfast for dinner – omelettes, anyone?
16. You decide how you want to start your day – with joy, with lovely, with pretty. Or with a morning stretch. Or …
17. Sometimes contentment means slow mornings sipping coffee.
18. Walking, whether briskly or leisurely, is exercise. For that matter, moving is exercise.
19. The tv remote is not a good friend.
20. Nor is the kitchen after 8pm.
21. Brain tease is better than brain freeze. Say No to Haagen Daz.
22. B is no longer just the second letter of the alphabet. It’s also beans, broccoli, bokchoy, brussel sprouts, blueberries, baby spinach, baby kale, baklava (delete that), bran, bbbbbbread.
23. Your address list includes health practitioners of different specialties, classes – from yoga to nutrition – you wonder where your friends are … or perhaps they are now your new-found friends.
24. Be passionate about something. Or someone. You can’t go through life without passion. It pushes the envelope. It motivates. It gets you up in the morning raring to go. It’s better than caffeine.
25. Stay in touch. With friends. Oh, and thank you, Facebook! “if my friends could see me now …”
26. If you remain hopeful, you might still meet your soul mate. Even Jack Nicholson “… would love that one last romance, … What I can’t deny is my yearning. I’m definitely still wild at heart but I’ve struck biogravity. I have had everything a man could ask for but no one could say I’m successful with affairs of the heart.”
27. If you’re wondering if he’s with his son or his boyfriend, he’s with his boyfriend, and so goes if he’s with his daughter ….
28. You don’t say yes when you really want to say no. Just say “no”.
29. If you want to play it safe, wear black. Always wear black. Then accessorize. Always accessorize. And, please, don’t give up heels!
30. Don’t wait to tick off items on your bucket list til you’re 64. Start early.
31. Keep up on your reading. And re-reading the classics.
32. No more regrets. No more frowning. And no more excuses.
33. Use your good china, silver and crystals more often.
34. And sleep on those hundred thread count bedsheets.
35. One word – silk.
36. Embrace 64. Not only gracefully but graciously.
37. Continue speaking well of others. They’ll continue to speak well of you when you’re long gone.
38. Be generous with oneself. With time. With words. Two words – give back. Time. Offerings. Listening. And caring.
39. Pearls are timeless. Pearls of wisdom too.
40. Mystery knows no age. No need to tell all.
41. Fall in love all over again. With yourself. For every squint, for every line is a wonderful memoir.
42. Repeat. Forgive yourself. Forgive your mother. And your mother’s mother.
43. Continue to have role models – even younger than you. And at the same time, mentor someone younger.
44. Celebrate ‘everyday’. With a bubbly. Everyday.
45. It is still ok to daydream.
46. There are no more dress rehearsals. It’s show time.
47. Learn to paint. To sketch. Buy adult coloring books.
48. Yes, I’m still evolving. Reinvent oneself.
49. Silence that internal chatter.
50. Only milk has an expiration date. Don’t accept a shelf life on your dreams.
51. One word – Manicure. Pedicure. Facials. Massage. Maintenance.
52. Say out loud – I deserve epic romance. Insist on it.
53. Get excited about life.
54. Another great romance is possible.
55. You can still run away from home. But this time, do it first class all the way.
56. The last chocolate in the box? Yes, it’s yours. Enjoy in all its deliciousness.
57. Show appreciation. Feel gratitude.
58. Get a dog.
59. When with Nona, it’s Nirvana!
60. Be at the moment. Focus and give up multi-tasking. Take baby steps.
61. Ask yourself. What of your childhood dream. I’m living it.
62. Ask yourself. What of tomorrow. …
63. More bubbly. Celebrate.
64. There’s life after 60 …
I’m half way done with my holiday shopping? We have 12 more days. And we’re not stressing out this year.
Here are some suggestions -
For the foodies in your life - keeping it healthy
Olive oil. Always welcome in any kitchen. Choose organic, extra virgin at Eataly
Artisanal vinegars at Eataly
Home made flavoured salt. Here’s how -
Lemon-Rosemary Salt. Mix the following 1/2 cup sea salt, 3/4 tsp dried lemon zest,
3/4 tsp dried orange zest, 3/4 tsp dried rosemary
Cutting board at William Sonoma
My Kitchen in Paris by David Lebovitz. You can order here
Gift cards from www.BreadandPassion.com for their specialty bread a month club,
or a gift basket specially hand picked and packed with the recipient in mind. Contact us at email@example.com
For the wine aficionados -
For the book lovers -
The Kindle Fire, Amazon
For the fashionistas - in the know
Furry fingerless gloves, Shopbop
Anything from Alexis Bittar
For the gym enthusiasts - to end up fit and fabulous
Fitbit, an activity tracker here
UP3 Jawbone, another activity tracker, to pre-order here
For the very last-minute - go to Open Table here
And purchase a restaurant gift certificate.
There are always tickets to a Broadway show, a performance at the Lincoln Center, a jazz concert at The Blue Note Club,
a pampering session at a spa, a museum membership …. the list goes on.
What’s on your gift list?